FAVORITE THINGS / / PARKER FITZGERALD
Parker Fitzgerald is one cool dude who takes amazing photos. He is a freelance photographer, graphic designer and illustrator living in Portland. Being one of my current favorite photographers, I am happy to have him on the blog! (Photo by Courtney Roxanne)
Website / / Blog
1. Favorite camera to shoot on? This is an eternally difficult question, and I think it's not too much of an exaggeration to say that it's like asking a parent which one of their children is their favorite.
So I'll answer it like this:
My most trusty camera is my Polaroid 195. My most impressive camera is probably my Mamiya Universal Press. My most used camera is probably my Voigtlander Bessa R2. My most beautiful and fun-to-use camera is my Zeiss Ikon ZM. Haha. Those four are what I do 97.4% of my work with. I also have a Canon 5d Mk II for them times when I'm forced at gunpoint to use digital (but the camera still owns a very soft spot in my heart).
2. Favorite place to travel? So far, I've loved Japan and Ireland the most. Turkey was pretty sweet as well. I am obsessed with medieval western history, so anywhere in Europe is a good bet - the snowier, the better. North is my favorite direction.
3. Favorite decade? I've never given it much thought, but off the top of my head, I'd have to say the 40s for style, the 60s for music, and the 70s for cameras (the Polaroid SX-70 and the Polaroid 195 both were manufactured in the first half of the 70s).
4. Favorite music? A couple of mainstays for me would be Fleet Foxes and Radiohead. A couple of bands I'm really into right now are Other Lives and The National. Some local Portland bands I love are Greylag, Harlowe and the Great North Woods, and Great Wilderness.
5. Can't live without. . . Chuck Norris, of course.
6. Favorite photographers? I don't honestly follow that many big photographers. I have some favorites that I've met over Flickr, though. One is Aëla Labbé. She's so awesome. I do love myself some Japanese artists, though. Akihiko Yoshida, Ayami Kojima, Hiroaki Samura, and Yoji Shinkawa are just a few of my faves.
7. Coveting. . .. There are always a whole bunch of lenses and cameras that I wouldn't mind having. I have a pretty tightly-formed set of equipment, but I would love a black Zeiss Ikon, a 50mm f/2 Planar in Leica M mount, a good solid Zeiss or Voigtlander wide-angle lens, or something like that. I'm actually pretty lucky and have most of the gear now that I think I'd ever want. That might not be the case in a month, though. I tend to get bored easily ^_^
8. Favorite thing I own is . . Another tough question. I suppose my most USEFUL thing is either my Voigtlander Bessa R2 or my Polaroid 195. The most fun thing is my Ikon. Maybe my computer, too?
I do, however, have a room full of cacti. I love them all. If I could carry them around in my pockets, I would. I have too low a pain tolerance for that, though.